Bluewren Photos Suite
Originally created in 2008 to capture site conditions for later reference in the design of signage at sites difficult to access around Canberra and not available on Google StreetView, the original concept has been developed into a package of photo recording, viewing and editing tools that is now known as the Bluewren Photos Suite.
The Suite has been in a state of constant evolution and improvement since inception and has been designed and developed with ongoing feedback from “on the ground” users. We are now satisfied it is suitably intuitive and robust enough, with ample features to meet the needs of most users, without being overly complex.
The Suite includes four main elements
The Photo Record Tool provides the functionality needed to capture and classify images in a simple workflow for immediate upload to the cloud. For viewing and reference by any authorised person with an internet connection now, or through a portable local viewer into the future.
The Photo Viewer is the main element of the Suite and makes it easy to almost immediately or much later quickly find and view the particular image that meets defined criteria. It also has other useful features for reviewing site conditions and understanding situations and the details of an issue at a location in real time that may be remote to the viewer.
The Bluewren Manager is the interface for administering the Suite including setting up Users, Photo maps and overlays, choosing the classification system and payment options.
Captured images can be downloaded at any time through the Photo Viewer and at the completion of a project all of the photo records can be provided either as a PDF report or in electronic format (jpegs with database tables). When the photo records are supplied as jpegs, a special off-line viewer is also included along with the database files that contain the classification information. The portable off-line viewer with similar view and search functionality to the on-line Photo Viewer allows for enduring reference and ease of identification of relevant photos without the need for a subscription or if ongoing external data security may be an issue.
The Suite continues to evolve and has been utilised on many projects since its inception, these include infrastructure construction surveillance on roads, subdivisions. wetlands, services installations and hard and soft landscaping, also for photo recording to assist in the design of signage installations, feasibility studies and existing condition surveys to provide an enduring reference of the dilapidation of existing assets.
The many benefits available from using the Suite are real and include:
- Photo recording and information logging by in-house or third party users for immediate viewing and future reference
- A single repository for photo records accessible to the whole team
- Appreciation remotely of existing site conditions
- Surveillance of a work site by others in near real time with images that are easily found if needed in future
- Readily available store of images for reporting and promotion
- Understanding of complex situations from targeted photos
- Construction or insurance claim assessments and review
- Appreciation of site conditions and works in progress at any given time through the project
- Record of plant and personnel on site
- Photos to support “Requests for Information”, variations and progress claims
- Establish position relative to planned infrastructure on greenfields sites
- Remote sharing of photo information for collaborative design
- Photos can be taken by the whole team and stored in the one place under a unified classification system for reference through the design process
- Comparison of asset condition for dilapidation surveys or handover of assets and defect repair monitoring
- Enduring record of site conditions to a user defined classification system for future image identification and ongoing reference